Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting service refers to keeping and/or sharing particular content on a hosting server hosted by a hosting vendor. There are different categories of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's take a glance at them. Doing so, you can choose what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to have a site, mail accounts, or to share files with friends and associates.
- File hosting: a service furnished by given vendors, which lets you share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file hosting accounts frequently involve advertisements by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific period of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a completely mistaken interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would distribute the workload between individual groups of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web site hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a sort of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; specific suppliers offer a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting variant is suitable if you wish to share an enormous amount of pictures with friends or associates since the service is commonly free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution committed to taking care of your emails. Some companies provide web space hosting services for websites, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you wish to create a mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a website, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open email address accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip produces a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of videos and several hundred web page viewers, you may have a problem with your web hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will permit you to own as many video files as you wish without hassling about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to possess a web site. To some degree, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting varieties since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mail box accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Lonex, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web hosting plans that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in one single location. There may be restrictions depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse compared to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for specific web content only.